DELAWARE – Get ready for a weekend of fun in the great outdoors of Ohio as host of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Alum Creekend. The weekend-long event celebrates the opening of the park’s new marina building with games, paddling demonstrations, a Touch-A-Truck, storybook trail rides, music, fishing and more. Families are invited to join in on all the festivities June 11-12 at Alum Creek State Park.
“We are excited to show off the beautiful new marina which is sure to attract even more boaters to what is already one of Ohio’s most popular parks,” said ODNR Director Mary Mertz. “We’ve planned a big party to celebrate this new addition and hope families from across the state can join us for all the fun!”
ODNR will kick off the festivities with a ribbon cutting for the new marina building at Alum Creek State Park on Saturday, June 11 at 11 a.m. Alum Creekend the festivities run until 4 p.m. on Saturday and most activities will be repeated on Sunday, June 11, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The ODNR has partnered with the Ohio State Parks Foundation and event sponsors to provide a Alum Creekend Competition for all visitors. Event cards with an attached registration form can be picked up at the park office, marina, beach, campground check-in station, and nature center throughout of the weekend. The grand prize draw for adults is a two-night RV stay at Alum Creek, Delaware, or Indian Lake State Parks sponsored by RV Wholesalers. Other prizes include boat rentals, overnight stays, gift cards and outdoor gear.
To be eligible for the adult (over 18) and youth (under 18) competitions, visitors are asked to participate in at least four Alum Creekend Activities. Completed entry forms can be dropped off at various locations throughout the park before 4 p.m. on Sunday. Winners will be contacted by June 15.
The following locations around the state park will host Alum Creekend activities (please note, some activities are only available on Saturdays):
- Beach – 3400 Lewis Center Road
- Archery, the Wildlife Division’s mobile food kitchen, life vest relay races, paddle sports demonstrations and a Touch-A-Truck exhibit will be offered at the south end of the beach. Guided hikes on the Storybook Trail will be offered at the north end. Food trucks will offer refreshments for sale. A swimming pool, playground and picnic tables are also available.
- The beach also offers parking and a shuttle service to other Alum Creekend Locations.
- Campground – 2911 S. Old State Road
- Nature arts and crafts, games and a scavenger hunt await visitors to the Alum Creek Nature Center. Meet the naturalist and get a preview of the nature center’s interior renovation.
- Sailing Association – Lewis Center Road west of beach entrance
- Sailing demonstrations and related activities will be available at the refuge, located before the entrance to the group camp area. Experienced sailors from the Alum Creek Sailing Association will be on hand to answer your sailing questions. Sailing activities are available on Saturdays only.
- Hollenback Boat Launch – 4000 Hollenback Road
- The site of the new marina building, this area will offer a variety of boating-related entertainment, including marina tours and youth fishing throughout the weekend. The new Marina Commissioner will be open all weekend and live music will be available on Saturday afternoon.
- Parking is extremely limited near the marina – event attendees are encouraged to park on the beach and take the free shuttle. After the inauguration ceremony on Saturday, short boat trips will be offered from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- Natural Resource Officers will be on hand to answer any boating questions and participate in free boat launch inspections.
- Mountain Bike Trailhead – 5831 Lewis Center Road
- Volunteers from the Central Ohio Mountain Bike Association will provide mountain bike demonstrations for riders of all ages, including the youth skills course. In addition, adapted bicycle and kayak equipment will be available for the demonstration.
- US Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center – 3905 Lewis Center Road
- Take the short trail from the beach or head to the US Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center for the opportunity to visit the center’s nature exhibits, watch a bird of prey show Ohio, tour the dam or learn about the area’s Underground Railroad history. Activities are offered on both days.
Alum Creekend is sponsored by Alum Creek Marina, Burgess & Niple, Huntington Bank, Paul’s Marine, Robertson Construction, RV Wholesalers, Sawmill Marine, LLC, Triad Architects and the Ohio State Parks Foundation.
Located near Ohio’s capital, Alum Creek State Park is a popular destination for boating and camping. Visitors can spend the day jet skiing across thousands of acres of water or find a quiet cove to fish or paddle. Ideal for swimming and sunbathing, the beach is the largest inland beach in the park system.