The Bahamian government said 15 Haitian migrants who survived when their ship capsized in waters off New Providence last month will be repatriated to their home countries later this week.
“As you all know, several people have been charged and are currently before the courts. With regard to these survivors, this week we anticipate that we will repatriate 130 irregular Haitian migrants and more than 30 others to Cuba, and in this number of return to Haiti there will be 15 migrants who were involved in this tragedy at sea, ” Minister of Immigration and Labor Keith Bell told reporters.
Police suspect at least 45 people were traveling to Florida from New Providence on July 24 when their boat capsized in rough seas near Blackbeard’s Cay. At least 17 Haitians have died, including a pregnant woman and two minors, while several people are still believed to be missing.
– Advertising –
Authorities have so far identified six of the 17 people who died in the tragedy and Bell has dismissed reports that the government gave the families of the deceased victims a two-week deadline to collect their remains.
“I don’t know the details, but there certainly can’t be a delay. We exercise the highest degree of humanity possible, and we continue to work with the Haitian community and Haitian pastors to ensure that the remains are identified and given the highest degree of dignity and respect.
Regarding burial costs, the Haitian government has already committed to cover the funeral costs of unidentified people who perished at sea last month.